Make the switch to Ascension Rx — a new way to get maintenance and specialty medications delivered to your door.
Make the switch to Ascension Rx
As of January 1, 2022, Ascension Rx is the new in-network pharmacy for SmartHealth members with maintenance (30+ day supply) and/or outpatient specialty medication needs – providing greater access, convenience and care coordination.
- Your first co-pay is free* on medications when filled by Ascension Rx.
- If you’re already filling your maintenance medications at your local Ascension Rx pharmacy, you’re all set.
- Your specialty medications must be filled by Ascension Rx Home Delivery to avoid paying the full out-of-pocket cost.
- Our pharmacy benefits cover these qualifying maintenance and specialty medications for 2022.
* First free copay excludes specialty medications, members with the high deductible benefit plan, and medications listed on the Affordable Care Act preventive drug list prescriptions, which are already covered by law.
If you have less than two weeks of your maintenance medication left, you can call your prescriber and have it moved to your local Ascension Rx pharmacy without paying the full out-of-pocket cost. For a list of Ascension Rx pharmacy locations, click here.
If there is not an Ascension Rx location near you, to help ensure that you do not run out of medication, SmartHealth is offering a special extension allowing you to fill five times per prescription at any other participating Cigna retail network pharmacy without paying the full out-of-pocket cost (through May 2022).
|Prescription Type||Ascension Rx Home Delivery||Ascension Rx Local Pharmacy||Cigna In-network Retail Pharmacy|
|One-time Prescriptions (antibiotics, etc.)||✔||✔|
|Maintenance Medications (30+day)||✔||✔||X*|
*Controlled substances schedule 2, also called C2, must be filled at your local Ascension Rx outpatient pharmacy or other Cigna in-network pharmacy of your choice. C2s cannot be filled through home delivery.
Some examples of C2s are medications for ADHD (Adderall, Ritalin) or for pain management (Oxycontin, hydrocodone).
If you have questions regarding which medications can be filled via home delivery please refer to the SmartHealth medications list.
Sign up for Ascension Rx Home Delivery in five easy steps.
1. Fill out this form to start the process with Ascension Rx. We will ask for your contact information and medication allergies. Don’t forget to consent to text messaging in order to receive a notification when your account set up is complete.
2. Contact all your prescribers and ask them to electronically send your prescriptions to Ascension Rx. Ask your provider to send 90-day maintenance and/or specialty medications with additional refills using the following codes:
- For maintenance medications: “Ascension Rx 1001 – Home Delivery”
- For specialty medications: “Ascension RX 1303 – Specialty Pharmacy”
- Your provider may also fax your prescriptions to 833-347-0798
3. Once you’ve received a text message confirming that your account set up is complete, visit rx.ascension.org/addcard to add your credit card details and complete payment. This step is required!
4. Receive medications delivered to your doorstep.
- We will send maintenance medications in 90-day supplies, if prescription quantity allows*.
- Generic medication will be dispensed when a generic alternative is available.
- It can take up to 3 weeks for you to receive your medication in the mail.
Note: You will receive a text message when the medication is shipped and when you’re due for a refill.
5. Download the Ascension Rx mobile app for management of your medications and future refills. You will need an Ascension Rx prescription number to use the app. You can find a list of all your prescriptions and their status by visiting rx.ascension.org.
Still have questions about Ascension Rx or your SmartHealth benefits?
Please view these FAQs.
Ascension Rx operating hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. CST.